As we returned from our drive along the Pacific Coast Highway, we stopped to visit Carmel Mission.
Mission San Carlos Borroméo del Rio Carmelo, was named for Saint Charles Borromeo, the Bishop of Milan who died in 1538. It was originally founded on 3 June 1770 near a native village called Tamo not far from Monterey.
In 1771 the mission, now known as Carmel Mission, was moved to its present location near the Carmel river.
Founded by Father Junipero Serra, Carmel Mission was the second mission built by Franciscan missionaries in Upper California. The mission served as the headquarters for the 21 California missions.
Father Serra was canonized by Pope Francis, on 23 September 2015 and is buried beneath the main altar of the basilica.
On 4 November 1879 Robert Louis Stevenson, who at the time was a journalist at the Monterey Californian, visited Carmel Mission.
Just across the road a reproduction bell marked the route between the missions.
It’s an interesting place and we enjoyed our visit, especially as a coffee shop just across the road meant we could pick up a brew for our drive home.
Have fun, we are!