Sunday 19 May 2013

Heading back to the warmer weather

Our plan, (we always have a plan, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn’t, this time it didn’t) had been to travel north of Santa Fe and visit Pecos National Park, but after the 19F morning we decided to head back to the warmth of southern Arizona.
 
We stopped overnight at Escapees Dreamcatcher RV Park in Deming and then carried on to one of our favourite places, Tombstone Territories RV Park http://www.tombstoneterritories.com.   It was so nice to be able to sit outside and enjoy the sunshine.
 
In between enjoying the warmth and catching up on our reading, we walked down to the San Pedro river and probably because the trees were still fairly bare we even managed to make out the adobe buildings that comprise the remains of Presidio Santa Cruz de Terranate sitting on the bluff above the old railway line.   Not that you can see them in the photograph.

When we first visited Fairbank many years ago it was possible to walk into the buildings, but now a fence helps preserve the buildings and keeps visitors safe.

Bisbee is always a must on any trips to TTRV and this time was no exception. 

Every year on the 3rd Saturday in October Bisbee holds the Bisbee 1000, The Great Staircase Climb.
 
I decided to climb one of the staircases, DB declined and said he'd see me when I got back.  I thought I could see to the top, it didn’t look that far.
 
What I didn’t realise is that there were a couple of landings along the way, so this is what I saw when I eventually got to the top. 
 
After being revived with a Mexican hot chocolate with lashings of cream (very diet friendly – not!) in the Bisbee Coffee Company I decided that I definitely won’t be doing the Bisbee 1000, well not this year! 

On our way back to the truck we saw this highly decorated car, isn't it great?   I can't imagine driving it though and I’m not actually sure it would be street legal at home. 

Another great day in South Eastern Arizona.

Have fun, we are!

2 comments:

  1. It's neat to see your rig! It's a beauty! Don't blame you for avoiding 19. Its too chilly for spring and to be RVing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we love it, we had planned smaller, but you know how it is when you find something that just 'fits'. :)

      Delete