Sunday 25 February 2018

Elko, Nevada

After leaving Winnemucca we continued further East to Elko, another lovely town.   One of the first places we visited was the North Eastern Nevada Museum.    Once again it was a really good museum with lots of information about the town of Elko as well as the California and Oregon Trail.

The Pony Express Station outside the North Eastern Nevada Museum was moved from its original location in Ruby Valley.  

Bing Crosby enjoyed Elko so much that he bought several ranches in the area and was Honorary Mayor from 1948 until his death in 1977.

All around Elko there were huge cowboy boots decorated with different designs.


The California Trail Interpretive Museum is a fascinating place, in the grounds there is a replica encampment.

Inside the museum was a small wagon, in it you could put the things you’d need for the journey.   I thought I’d done quite well, wrong!   I’d missed out a couple of essential things one of which was something to make bullets, so we’d’ve had no way to get food and protect ourselves.   I don’t think I’d’ve made a very good pioneer.   It’s a really interesting museum and definitely somewhere I’d revisit if we ever return to that area.

How the inside of my wagon should’ve looked.

Outside there was a replica of what a trail camp would look like.

Have fun, we are!











No comments:

Post a Comment