Saturday, we rode the Old Pueblo Trolley
After a stroll around, we headed off to Fort Lowell Museum and Park.
There is very little left of the original Fort, just some adobe walls from the hospital. To prevent further erosion a shelter has been erected over the site.
The museum is housed in a replica of an officer’s quarters. The exhibits also list the names and occupations of people of lived at the fort. One of those named was Martha Summerhayes who was married to a Captain in the US army, she wrote about her experiences living at Fort Lowell in the 1880’s in her book, Vanished Arizona.
The original officer’s quarters were situated along a shady cottonwood lane, after the fort was abandoned the cottonwoods were neglected and dying, but they have been replanted and once again provide a shady avenue on hot days. Of which there are plenty!
No comments:
Post a Comment