Wednesday 27 July 2011

Big Rock Candy Mountain

“Oh the buzzin' of the bees in the peppermints trees near the soda water fountain,
At the lemonade springs where the bluebird sings on the Big Rock Candy Mountains”
 
I remember the song by Burl Ives from when I was a kid, (DB claims never to have heard of it) well near Marysvale on highway 89 we found Big Rock Candy Mountain, although I believe the mountain wasn’t given the name until after the song was first recorded in 1928 by Harry McClintock.

 Today there is a resort at the bottom of the hills and it’s on part of the Paiute ATV trail.

Although I looked very carefully I couldn’t find either the peppermint trees, soda water fountain or the lemonade springs, mind you the coffee from the resort was good and hot!

Have fun, we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment